When it comes to the cast iron grill pan vs nonstick grill pan, the cast iron grill pan is better. Nonstick grill pans are easy to clean, don’t require seasoning and they are energy efficient, but they are still inferior to cast iron grill pans when it comes to heat retention, flavors and even cooking. And when it comes to cooking, you want the latter.
Keep reading to get a more in-depth overview of the differences between nonstick grill pans and cast iron grill pans
The differences between a cast iron grill pan and a Nonstick grill pan
- Ease of cleaning – Cast iron grill pans require much more effort to clean than a non stick pan, simply because you can’t soak cast iron in water because it will rust. Nonstick grill pans won’t rust when soaked.
- Seasoning required – Cast iron grill pans require seasoning, otherwise they will rust through moisture in the air and food will stick whilst cooking, Nonstick grill pans don’t require any seasoning.
- Chemicals – Cast iron grill pans contain no chemicals, Nonstick grill pans are made using synthetic materials that contain chemicals, so if the coating chips off, chemicals may leach into your food
- Even Heating Surface – Both cast iron grill pans and Nonstick grill pans have a great even heating surface for cooking food, but Nonstick grill pans are better, since their coating has been designed to help with heat distribution, where as cast iron is a natural metal that has not been modified.
- Temperature Control – Cast iron grill pans have great heat retention, which allows fantastic temperature control, primarily why some restaurants serve streak in their cast iron grill pans, because it keeps the steak hot for longer, Nonstick grill pans cool down quite fast and heat up quite fast, so it’s much harder to control the temperature of them.
- Energy Efficiency – Since Nonstick grill pans heat up quicker, they are more energy efficient, great for saving money when cooking food.
- Flavor – Cast iron gives better flavor due to the patina that builds up on it overtime, this patina allows food to hold onto flavor better. Hence why old cast iron is sought after.
Why are nonstick grill pans used versus cast iron grill pans?
Nonstick grill pans have a bad reputation amongst those who love cooking, so why are they so popular? Well the biggest reason is convenience. There are a lot of home cooks who will sacrifice flavour and quality, simply because it makes cooking more convenient for them. Nonstick grill pans are easy to clean, have a nonstick surface from purchase and they don’t require maintanence, after you’ve finished cooking with it, throw it in the dishwasher, and you are done.
However cast iron pans come with a lot more effort required to protect them, not only do you need to spend hours seasoning them when you first purchase one, but you’ll need to use some elbow grease when cleaning it, because you can’t soak it or use the dishwasher otherwise you’ll end up with rust. In return for this effort, you’ll receive better tasting food, that’s cooked to perfection.
Nonstick grill pans are easy to clean, don’t require seasoning and they are energy efficient, but they are inferior to cast iron grill pans when it comes to heat retention, flavors and even cooking.
Keep reading to get a more in-depth overview of the differences between nonstick grill pans and cast iron grill pans.