A common question when looking for something to cook with is whether or not a person should buy ceramic, Teflon, or stainless steel pots and pans. But how do you decide which one to choose?
This article will compare each type of cookware so you can see the differences and make an informed decision on which way to go.
Ceramic vs Teflon cookware comparison
Ceramic coated cookware doesn’t use chemicals to create a non stick surface unlike teflon coated cookware. It’s coated with thin layer of ceramic coating on the inside of the pot.
Ceramic coated cookware is more expensive than Teflon coated pans, but it’s longer lasting, doesn’t release toxic fumes into your food as time goes on, and you can use metal utensils with it without damaging it.
Both ceramic coated and teflon coated cookware need to be used on low to medium heat, otherwise their non stick coating will degrade fast, teflons non stick coating is known for bubbling under high heats, and a ceramic coating will crack under high heats.
Pure ceramic cookware is basically the same as ceramic coated cookware when it comes to it’s surface, however pure ceramic cookware is much more durable, but also much more expensive. Pure ceramic cookware is also hard to find, so for the purpose of this article, I will only be referring to ceramic coated cookware due to it’s high availability and popularity.
Which one should you choose ceramic or teflon?
Ceramic cookware is a great choice for anyone who wants to have the best non stick cookware available. It’s not cheap, though! Teflon is cheaper and less durable than ceramic but it doesn’t release harmful gasses into your food. So if you choose to go with Teflon, make sure that you don’t use metal utensils on it and you do not leave heat on for long periods of time.
Stainless steel cookware comparison
Stainless steel cookware is the most basic non stick cookware available. It consists of two layers: an exterior layer called the base and an interior layer called the pot. The stainless steel surface gets its non stick properties from a thin layer of titanium metal bonded to a substrate of stainless steel. This is what allows pots and pans to be able to get incredibly hot without being damaged by high temperatures.
However, quality stainless steel pans do not have excellent non stick capabilities like the non stick pans with a coating, as these coatings have been designed specifically to make the non stick pans as good as possible. So when using stainless steel cookware, you may find that some food sticks.
Stainless steel cookware is dishwasher safe, but should not be put in the oven, as it can have a bad effect on its coating.
Stainless steel is very durable. It won’t scratch easily, and you can use metal utensils on it without damaging it. Stainless steel cookware is also inexpensive since it requires very little in terms of materials needed to make it. Non stick stainless steel cookware is a great option for people who want a durable and affordable option that can last a long time.
Although stainless steel pots and pans can get damage from high heat, they are not damaged by using metal utensils or putting them in the dishwasher, which makes them great for those who love their metal utensils.
Ceramic vs stainless steel cookware
In terms of durability, ceramic tends to have an edge over stainless steel. This is because ceramic is naturally more durable than stainless steel.
Stainless steel is still a good choice, though. Stainless steel doesn’t scratch easily and it can take the rough handling of being put in the dishwasher and being used with metal utensils without showing signs of damage.
However, if you use your cookware often and you want something that will last a long time without developing scratches or dents, then ceramic would be the best option for you.
Ceramic vs teflon vs stainless steel cookware: What type should you choose?
There are very few factors that should be considered when deciding between Teflon, Ceramic, and stainless steel. The main factor of durability should be the main deciding factor in your decision. Ceramic is the most durable of all three, but stainless steel is also very durable and doesn’t tend to scratch as easily as ceramic does. Stainless steel has its benefits in that it does not have a non stick coating so it can take more abuse and will not scratch as easily. Ceramic is also the most expensive of the three and tends to lose its non stick qualities over time if not used often enough.
So which one is best? It really depends on what you’re looking for in your cookware. Ceramic cookware is very durable, but it’s also heavy and not the easiest to clean. Teflon pots and pans are also durable and heat resistant, but they’re not nearly as sturdy as ceramic. Stainless steel on the other hand is a great choice for searing meats or fish before cooking them, but it’s not a great option for everyday use because it can be a bit heavy and the process of cleaning it can be quite messy. Think about what you plan to cook most often before making up your mind on which type of cookware would work best for you.
So it’s realistically depends on your preference as to what you want from your cookware. But if you are still struggling, take a look at the benefits summed up of each and that should help you make your decision.
Benefits of ceramic cookware
1. Ceramic cookware is extremely durable. Ceramic cookware has a very thin layer of ceramic that is bonded to a substrate of stainless steel. This allows the ceramic to be able to withstand temperatures up to 1000 degrees Fahrenheit (about 482 Celsius). By comparison, normal non stick cookware can only cope with temperatures up to 350 F (177 Celsius) and Teflon cookware can only withstand temperatures up to 500 F (260 C).
2. Ceramic is more resistant to scratches and stains than any other type of metal Cookware surface. This allows ceramic cookware to appear brand new for a longer period of time than other types of cookware.
3. Ceramic cookware gets better with age. Over time, the surface of your ceramic cookware will increase in beauty. This is mostly noticeable on dark colored surfaces, which should be treated with care as you don’t want to scratch it.
4. Ceramic cookware is extremely easy to clean. The non stick surface on the ceramic makes it easy to clean up food and any grease that builds up on it after cooking and reheating foods that contain fats or oils in them for long periods of time such as meats and cheese dishes. . This is why ceramic cookware is the best choice for people who need to frequently cook with fats and oils.
5. Ceramic cookware is dishwasher safe, which makes it quick and easy to clean when you’re in a hurry.
Benefits of stainless steel cookware
1. Stainless steel cookware can withstand temperatures up to 872 F (440 C). By comparison, Teflon pots can only withstand temperatures up to 450 F (232 C), and ceramic pots can only withstand temperatures up to 450 F (232 C). Stainless steel has about double the thermal resistance of Teflon and almost 4 times as much as ceramic.
2. Stainless steel cookware has outstanding aesthetic value with its smooth surface, which makes it easy to clean. This is why stainless steel is the best choice for those who like to serve their dishes in elegant and very attractive cookware sets.
3. Stainless steel pots and pans have more thermal mass than other types of cookware, which means that they will help maintain a constant temperature in foods that require frequent stirring during the cooking process.
4. Stainless steel pots and pans are usually much thicker than other types of cookware, which allows them to better withstand dents and scratches from frequent use.
5. Stainless steel cookware is extremely easy to clean when compared to other types of cookware, such as Teflon and ceramic. This is because it has a smooth surface with very low friction, which makes it almost impossible to leave food particles on the surface of the metal.
6. Stainless steel pots are extremely easy to clean with the dishwasher. In fact, stainless steel is one of the easiest materials to clean in a dishwasher because it has no rough edges or angles that can catch food or dirt particles during cleaning cycles in the dishwasher and make them hard to remove.
7. Stainless steel cookware looks modern and elegant in any kitchen!
Benefits of teflon cookware
1. Most teflon pots and pans are very similar to stainless steel in terms of shape, size, weight and ease of use.
2. Teflon cookware is easy to clean – dishwashers remove any food residue and bacteria that may get stuck in the grooves.
3. Teflon-coated pots are very safe – they do not react with acidic foods or non stick surfaces, so you can cook any kind of food without worrying about getting dents or scratches on the surface.
4. They are leak-proof – the coating is not only extremely durable, but also water-repellent. This means that it is safe to cook with any type of pot without worrying about transferring hot or cold water between pots.
5. They are aggressive – like other non stick coatings, Teflon products can be used on pans and high-heat cooking surfaces without having to worry about damaging them. Teflon coats do not wear off as they do in less durable coatings, so they can even be used on induction and ceramic cooktops without any special care.
Overall, It really depends on what you need it for.
Ceramic cookware is the best option if you plan on frequently cooking with oils or if you do not have a dishwasher at your disposal because it’s easy to clean by hand.
If you do have a dishwasher, then stainless steel will not only make cleaning easier, but also look more elegant in your kitchen and cook food better!
Teflon is a decent choice if you’re not going to need to frequently cook with oils or other types of foods that have a tendency to create extra residues on your cookware.
In terms of deciding between Ceramic and Stainless steel, it’s mostly a matter of aesthetics, as both are easy to clean and durable providing you have a dishwasher for the stainless steel.
Whatever type of cookware you decide on, make sure to cook healthy and take care of your tools. Cook healthy meals that will satisfy your belly and give you plenty of energy throughout the day.
And have fun in the kitchen!