If you work in the kitchen, or at least spend most of your time within one, chances are you’ve already seen and used an oven mitt. These mitts are lifesavers if you work inside a kitchen since it allows you to handle materials at high heat levels, without even worrying too much if you will be able to handle it or not. The only downside with the continuous usage of these is the wear and tear, as well as the possibility of it getting dirty easily.
The good news is that, these mitts are often designed to be cleaned easily even if they are not the best oven mitts, without you having to bend over backwards to get the dirt off. You can choose to go the manual route, hand washing them until all the gunk and grime are gone, or throwing them in the washing machine (most mitts now are designed to withstand the pressures of a washing machine).
Cleaning Your Oven Mitts
You may follow the steps below when washing attempting to clean your oven mitts:
1) Look for the product care label that can be found in your oven mitts, these usually state the possible ways of going about washing your mitts. Although not all are required to include this label, but it is worth a shot to look at. Search for it around the cuff area, outside or inside your gloves.
2) If there is no product care label, then we will proceed with the manual way. Get a gallon of water in a bowl or bucket, and mix in around 1/4 to 1/2 cup of detergent, Your best bet will be to use mild detergent only as stronger ones may affect the material of your mitt.
3) Get a white wash cloth, and soak it in the solution. When wringing it out, make sure to not dry it out completely, and leave a little bit of moisture in the cloth. Do note as well that it is better to use the color white for your wash cloth, because colored ones might stain your mitt.
4) With your wash cloth, you want to use it to dab on the hard to reach areas of your glove, usually underneath some decorative materials or in the area between your thumb and pointer finger. It is important to get these areas as these are the ones usually left with soot after cleaning. After dabbing the areas with the detergent water, get another cloth and wash it out with tap water. You will need to let it air dry for around 30 minutes to see if there is any fading brought on by the detergent, if there is then you may need to consider getting a lighter detergent before proceeding to step 5.
5) Once confirmed that there is no fading, you may proceed to dip your oven mitts in your detergent solution. Wait for around 30 minutes and then you can take them out and let them air dry for as long as it needs. Try to use warm water when submerging your gloves as the heat will help the removal of dirt.
How To Remove Difficult Stains
The items that you will need:
- Laundry stain remover
- Liquid Dish soap
- Scrub Brush
- Dull knife
- Large bowl
The steps on how to remove the stains:
- Scrape the burnt stains that the food have left on your oven mitt using the dull knife.
- If you notice some burnt food stains or particles that won’t come loose easily, you should focus on that first. Mix some hot water and dish soap into the large bowl. Place the oven mitts inside the large bowl with the liquid dish soap and water. Be sure that the part where there is stuck food stains are particles are completely soaked in the water. Leave that for several minutes.
- Use the scrub brush for scrubbing the food particles. They can be easily removed after soaking in the dish soap and water solution.
- After making sure that all little bits of food particles are removed, you can now focus on the stains
- Use the laundry stain remover for the stain and let it set.
- Wash and launder as usual.
- Make sure that all of the stains are removed before drying. If you placed it in the dryer and there are still stains, the heat would again set the stains making it harder to remove.
How to remove Black Stains
The Items that you will need:
- Baking Soda
- Soda (Coke)
- Scrub brush
- Grease dissolving soap
- Washing Machine
- Hot Water
- Large Bowl
The steps on how to remove the stains:
- Mix the grease dissolving soap and hot water in a large bowl.
- Submerge the oven mitts into the soap and water solution for several minutes.
- If you notice that the soap has dissolved the grease, you can use the scrub brush for stain removal.
- If there are stains still on the oven mitts, spray it with WD-40. This will aid in removing the old stains.
- You can repeat step 1 to 3 if there are still stains remaining.
- If there are stains still on the oven mitts, mix dish soap and baking soda for us to create a pasty mixture.
- You’ll now apply this paste on the stain and scrub the area with a scrub brush
- After scrubbing, you can clean with warm water.
- If you notice there are still stains, you can try coca-cola or coke and hot water. Put them in a washing machine with hot water and the coca-cola. This will loosed up the grease further.
- Always avoid drying the oven mitts while there are stains as the heat would make the stain cling more.
- You can repeat the mentioned steps if the stains are still there on your oven mitts.
- If all the stains are gone, you can wash it as normal.
These are some guide and tips on how to effectively clean your oven mitts. We hop you liked this article and wish you success in cleaning your oven mitts.