Just about every household in the world has a can opener in their kitchen, some people even have the best hands free can opener too. Whether it’s manual, hands free or electric! This is especially true for electric can openers. In modern society, the electric can opener has become one of the most essential products we have in our kitchens. It’s easy to say that we enjoy the conveniences of gadgets that make our lives easier. However, owning these gadgets does require a certain amount of maintenance to keep them operating at their best.
Electric can openers do get worn out after extended use. Their parts become less effective and might require being replaced. Especially if you don’t know how to clean an electric can opener. The blades specifically are a common thing that needs to be replaced on an electric can opener. Some blades appear fixed to the unit on some models, however, almost all models will have access to remove the blade not only for cleaning, but also possible replacing. Some blades are easy to remove as they might be removable without any tools. Other models might require tools. In this case, there are some simple steps to removing the blade and replacing it. It is super important to get the blade replacement from the manufacturer or to know it is the right piece. These products are not universal and do require exact parts. Below are some tips for removing a can opener blade!
Removal Of Blade On An Electric Can Opener
- Unplug the unit – It should go without saying to unplug the unit before doing any repairs or replacement of parts. However, for safety reasons, it should be stated!
- Ensure you have the right tools – Inspecting the back of the can opener will determine the size of screwdriver needed to remove the unit’s backing. After figuring out the size of the screwdriver needed, ensure that any other tools or items are gathered as well. This mostly could include pliers for smaller designs that might need needle-nose pliers to access smaller areas within the back of the unit.
- Open the back of the can opener – Using the screwdriver, remove all the screws and place them somewhere safe so they don’t get lost. A fridge magnet is a great trick to keep them all together! Once removing the back of the unit, the gears and internal parts will be exposed. While this looks complicated, it really isn’t. These gears operate to ensure the rotary wheel operates on the front of the machine to propel the canned item under the blade. They might need lubrication from time to time, but for now, they are just a small part of the machine as we’re focused on the blade!
- Remover the blade – The blade will be towards the top of the internal part of the machine. Most likely, it will be secured with an internal screw that will need to be removed. The screw should fall backwards towards you while the blade on the front of the machine will fall frontwards. Because of this screw size that attaches the blade to the internal part of the unit is why having the exact replacement part is critical. If the screw cannot fit into the blade’s backside to realign it back to the unit, the blade either won’t fit or will be loose on the unit. It should fit snugly. Put the new, properly sized blade unit back up and re-screw it back into place.
- Replace the lever – Some blades can be on the lever in some designs of electric can openers. While this isn’t too common, the replacement of these blades can be achieved by replacing the level. The lever typically fits into the machine with a stationary piece that fits into the machine like a puzzle piece. It is easy to remove for cleaning or replacement. Once again, having the exact part is critical to ensure the can opener will operate at its full potential. These parts can be found through the manufacturer and are often listed in the manual for the can opener itself.
Electric can openers have proven to be one of the most desired kitchen gadgets and knowing how to use an electric can opener is essential for when you get older in the event you get arthritis. While they are super convenient, proper cleaning and maintenance of its parts are required. Just like any other appliance we own, these devices should be kept in good shape!