Copper is a naturally occurring metal that has been used for cooking pots and pans since the 1800s. In recent years, some companies have started making cookware with copper clad stainless steel or aluminum instead of copper.
But is copper clad cookware safe?
What is copper clad cookware?
Copper-clad cookware is made with a copper exterior and a different metal interior. The most common metals used for the interior are stainless steel, aluminum, or anodized aluminum.
Copper-clad cookware is usually more expensive than other types of cookware because of the materials used and the manufacturing process.
What are some of the safety concerns with copper clad cookware?
Copper is a heavy metal that can be toxic if it leaches into food. Copper is used in cookware to add a metallic taste and it helps with browning. The problem occurs when copper leaches into food, especially acidic foods like tomato sauce.
Copper can leach into food when the cookware is overheated or not properly washed. The cooking surface of copper pans can also wear away over time and expose more of the metal to food.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) considers copper cookware safe in normal use. But the agency recommends that if you are concerned about using it, choose anodized or stainless steel cookware instead.
Is copper clad cookware safe?
Copper clad cookware is deemed the best cookware material for home use. It is durable, heats evenly and has a long lasting non-stick surface that does not need oil to prevent food from sticking to it.
Copper clad cookware is made of a layer of copper sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. The inner and outer layers are bonded together using an electroplating process that coats the entire surface with copper.
The copper layer is usually 1.5 to 2 millimeters thick, which is enough to give the cookware its excellent heat conductivity and durability. It also gives it a shiny surface that does not require polishing.
While there are no definitive studies on the safety of using copper-clad cookware, the general consensus is that it is safe to use. The FDA has approved the use of copper in contact with food, as long as the overall amount does not exceed 0.6%.
What are the benefits of copper clad cookware?
1. Copper is an excellent conductor of heat, so it heats up evenly and quickly.
2. It also cools down quickly, so it’s great for cooking at high temperatures.
3. It’s also very durable, so your copper clad cookware will last for many years with proper care.
4. Finally, copper looks beautiful, so it can add a touch of elegance to your kitchen décor.
What are the drawbacks of copper clad cookware?
1. Copper is a very reactive metal, which means it can easily leach into food, especially acidic foods.
2. Copper is also a soft metal, so it can scratch and wear down over time with use.
3. Copper cookware needs to be regularly polished to maintain its shine and prevent tarnishing.
How to Use Copper Clad Cookware
If you decide to invest in copper clad cookware, there are a few things you should know about how to use it properly:
1. Always use wooden or silicone utensils when cooking with copper pots and pans – metal utensils can scratch the surface and ruin the finish over time.
2. Don’t put your copper cookware in the dishwasher – wash it by hand using mild soap and water.
3. To remove stubborn stains, use a mixture of equal parts flour and salt – rub it on the stain with a soft cloth, then rinse with warm water.
4. If your copper cookware starts to develop a patina (a natural, greenish-blue film), don’t worry – this is normal and can actually help protect the surface from scratches and stains. If you prefer the shiny look of new copper, you can remove the patina with a special cleaner made specifically for this purpose.
How can I care for my copper clad cookware?
You should hand wash your copper clad cookware with warm soapy water and a soft sponge. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scrubbers, as they can damage the copper.
Storing: It is best to store your copper clad cookware in a cool, dry place. If possible, avoid storing it in direct sunlight, as this can cause the copper to tarnish.
Preventing tarnish: To help prevent tarnish on your copper clad cookware, you can apply a thin layer of beeswax or olive oil to the surface. This will create a barrier that will help protect the copper from oxidation.
Where can I find copper clad cookware?
You can find copper clad cookware online at stores like Amazon, Williams Sonoma and Macy’s. In stores: You can find copper clad cookware in stores like Target, Walmart and Bed Bath & Beyond. Brands: Some brands that sell copper clad cookware include All-Clad, Calphalon and Anolon.