If you know any other home cooks, they might have the same question as yourself. You search for blue carbon steel cookware online but cannot find anything about this type of product.
What is it? How can I use it in my kitchen? And what else do I need to know about blue carbon steel cookware?
This guide will tell you what blue carbon steel is and how to use it in your cooking adventures!
What is blue carbon steel cookware?
Blue carbon steel cookware is a type of non-stick frying pan made from carbon steel that does not require harmful chemical coatings or plasticizers to produce its non-stick surface. The carbon steels surface is covered with a layer of polymer-coated carbon, which has been proven to be more durable than traditional coatings.
How is blue carbon steel cookware made?
Blue carbon steel cookware is made by heating iron and then coating it with a thin layer of blue steel, which creates the beautiful bluish-grey color. This process can take up to 10 hours.
The steel is heated to a temperature of 1,700 degrees Fahrenheit and then dipped in molten iron for about 10 seconds before being quenched in water or oil with great force.
The process of heating and quenching the steel causes it to become very hard and durable, as well as making it more resistant to rust.
Blue carbon steel cookware is a great choice for anyone who wants to cook healthier food.
What the difference between blue carbon steel and carbon steel cookware
Blue carbon steel cookware is a type of kitchenware that has been on the market for close to 20 years. It was created by Lincoln Manufacturing and became popular after being featured in an episode of the cooking show “Good Eats”.
The difference between blue carbon steel and carbon steel is that blue carbon steel is coated with a blue enamel. This is not just for decoration, however. The blue coating on the carbon steel helps prevent it from rusting and makes cleaning easier than it would be otherwise and prevents rust.
With regular carbon steel cookware, you need to scrub the pan with a brush and then clean it in hot soapy water. With blue carbon steel pans or pots, all you have to do is wipe them out with a damp cloth and then dry them.
The blue enamel coating on the outside of these pans is very durable, so you don’t have to worry about it chipping off. However, this coating is not scratch-resistant. If you use a metal utensil to stir your food or scrape the bottom of the pan, then you could chip off some of this enamel coating.
Expert Tip: When you first purchase your blue carbon steel cookware, it will have a protective layer of wax on it. This will need to be removed before you use the cookware, which can be done by washing them with hot water and soap or using a scouring pad.
Is blue carbon steel cookware good for cooking?
Blue carbon steel cookware has a few advantages over carbon steel cookware , but it also has a few disadvantages. But the biggest advantage of blue carbon steel cookware is that it’s easier to clean than regular carbon steel cookware.
The main advantages of blue carbon steel cookware over regular carbon steel are:
- 1) It’s lighter. Blue carbon steel cookware is much lighter than regular carbon steel, which makes it easier to handle when you’re cooking or cleaning.
- 2) It’s non-reactive. Blue carbon steel cookware is non-reactive, which means that it won’t react with your food or cause any discoloration on the surface of your food.
- 3) It’s easier to clean. Unlike regular carbon steel, blue carbon steel is much easier to clean and maintain.
- 4) It’s rust resistant. The blue carbon enamel provides protection against moisture, which is the weakness off regular carbon steel
The main disadvantages of blue carbon steel cookware over regular carbon steel are:
- 1) It’s more expensive. Blue carbon steel cookware is much more expensive than regular carbon steel, but it’s still a lot cheaper than most stainless steel cookware sets.
Is blue carbon steel cookware safe?
Some people might be concerned about the safety of blue carbon steel cookware. However, we have found that there is no health risk from using it.
Blue carbon steel cookware is completely safe to use in the kitchen. It’s made with a material that has been tested by independent laboratories, and it doesn’t have any chemicals that can leach into food.
The blue carbon steel cookware we carry has been tested and found to be completely safe for cooking.
Blue carbon steel cookware is safe for use on the stovetop and in the oven. It’s also dishwasher safe, which makes it easy to clean after you’ve used it.
Is blue carbon steel better than stainless steel for cooking?
Stainless steel is a common choice of cookware, but blue carbon steel offers some advantages. It’s lighter than stainless steel and it can be used on all stovetops including induction cooking. It’s also cheaper than stainless steel.
Blue carbon steel cookware is the better choice for people who are on more of a budget. It’s easy to clean, cheaper than stainless steel and it’s durable. Blue carbon steel cookware is also made from recycled stainless steel, which means it’s a great choice for the environment too.
However, when it comes to which is the best cookware for cooking, stainless steel is the clear winner which is why it’s so much more expensive, simply because stainless steel has more to offer than blue carbon steel such as:
- Durable – stainless steel is much more durable and will last longer than blue carbon steel cookware.
- Heat distribution – multiply stainless steel is a much better conductor of heat than blue carbon steel cookware so it will cook food more evenly.
- Heat retention – stainless steel retains its temperature for longer, which means less energy will be used to reheat your food.
- Better aesthetics – stainless steel is also much more aesthetically pleasing than blue carbon steel cookware.
So if you’re looking for the best cooking utensil for your kitchen and money is no object, then stainless steel should be your clear choice.
Do you need to season blue carbon steel?
You should season blue carbon steel before using it, in-fact the blue enamel coating actually makes it easier to season than regular carbon steel.
One of the main reasons to season blue carbon steel cookware is to improve the quality of the cookware, prevent corrosion and create a better non-stick surface.
How to season blue carbon steel pans
To begin seasoning your pan, start by scrubbing it with hot water and dish soap, then drying it. Add a thin layer of oil to the pan and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Let the pan cool and wipe with paper towels to clean it. To maintain the smooth cooking surface and nonstick properties, season the pan with vegetable oil periodically.
As you can see the seasoning process for blue carbon steel pans is much easier than other cookware such as cast iron, much quicker and more convenient.
And the best way to build up your seasoning on blue carbon steel is by cooking with it. Over time, the oils from food will build up a natural layer that will protect your pan further from rusting and keep it looking beautiful.
Is blue carbon steel a non-stick?
Yes, blue carbon steel is non-stick. In fact it is one of the most durable and long lasting types of cookware on the market today. It’s a great alternative to Teflon or ceramic coated cookware.
How do you clean a blue carbon steel pan?
Cleaning a blue carbon steel pan is relatively simple.
- Start by washing the pan with mild soap and warm water. Towel dry it after washing, this should clean any food that’s not stubborn and the majority of the time this will clean your blue carbon steel pan entirely.
- If there’s still stubborn food stuck to your pan, you can use a scouring pad to remove the stuck-on food, but avoid using metal spoons or other utensils that may scratch the surface.
How do you care for blue carbon steel cookware?
Blue carbon steel cookware is very easy to care for. Here are some of my best tips:
- The most important thing to remember when caring for blue carbon steel is that you should avoid using metal spoons or other utensils that may scratch the surface.
- If you have a dishwasher, you can safely wash your blue carbon steel in it as long as it doesn’t have any plastic parts or handles. If not, you can wash it by hand with warm soapy water and a sponge or soft cloth.
- Avoid using steel wool, scouring pads, bleach, or other harsh chemicals on your blue carbon steel.
What’s the best brand for blue carbon steel pans?
There are many great brands of blue carbon steel pans on the market today. These pans are perfect for frying, searing, and caramelizing.
In my opinion, the best brand for blue carbon steel pans is Le Creuset. I love the quality of their products, and they are consistent with the quality of their products. Not only that, but they are highly recommend by other cookware fanatics.